Vera! Vera!

....What has become of you? Does anybody else here feel the way I do?

Name:
Location: Fort Worth, Texas, United States

Monday, January 16, 2006

False Memoirs?


Any of you read one of the latest books that Oprah has put in her club? What is it, "A Million Little Pieces?" I read the other day that the writer admits that he embellished some of the trouble that he had been in and said that as a memoir, he didn't have to be honest, because lots of people exaggerate or add some untruth to their memoirs. But this book has been marketed as a self-help book for addicts. I mean Oprah had him on her show and people were calling in and talking about how his book saved their life and what was the big message? "Hold on." Yep, that's right folks. That's it. And it follows what he admits are lies about his life. I find this book absolutely ridiculous (though I must admit that I didn't do anything but glance through the table of contents). I suppose if it helps some addicts get clean than that in itself is great, but the idea that this guy justifies his lies based on the genre of memoir and yet all of these people are looking at his supposed life and thinking "if he can do it, I can" and yet they are basing that off of lies. Are you with me? Is anyone else disturbed by his embellishments? And also, isn't the "hold on" advice just a bit empty? If the fact that this book is a best-seller isn't a sure sign to all of us that people need a Savior and we should be telling them who He is, then I am a monkey's uncle. I'll tell you who to hold on to. It's Jesus!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin, you are so right. I've not seen the book or watched Oprah, but what I've read about the book on your blog is ridiculous. Everyday, I'm reminded of the lostness of the world we live in and it saddens me, but also spurs me on to want to share.

3:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home