Vera! Vera!

....What has become of you? Does anybody else here feel the way I do?

Name:
Location: Fort Worth, Texas, United States

Monday, July 25, 2005

What about the Old Testament?

When I became a believer, I was determined to read the Bible from cover to cover, starting with the Old Testament. I think that I made it to Ruth and I was extremely discouraged. Not only did I need milk, but someone to feed it to me as well. But not long after that, my pastor encouraged the congregation to read the Bible in its entirety. So, I did and this time I started with the New Testament and then went to the Old Testament. This was just a few years ago (2000). Since then I have continued to make an effort to read the Bible through from cover to cover. It seems so overwelming at times, but each time that I do it, I learn more and more. But continually, I find that there is an overall neglect of the Old Testament in Christian circles. I believe the basis for this neglect is a neglect of the Old Testament in personal bible study. We have to know the entirety of the Word of God to truly grasp its truth. Are we reading from cover to cover on a regular basis? The New Testament alludes to the Old Testament and the Old Testament alludes to itself over and over and when we see these examples and really get it, the Bible comes alive to us. It actually begins to make sense. The Bible should be the backdrop to our prayer and understanding of God and his interaction with us through the indwelling Holy Spirit. Did God tell you to do something in personal prayer? Can you trust it? Well, what does the Bible say about it? Does it coincide with Scripture? Well, it is hard to know if you don't know Scripture in its entirety. This is how one "tests the spirits." My request? Let's embrace Scripture in its entirety over and over again.

3 Comments:

Blogger Thomas Winborn said...

Amen...AMEN! :-)

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robina....thanks for always challenging me. Not only through your blog, but in our wonderful conversations. I wouldn't give anything for those. You're so right about the importance of Scripture as a whole. I love you!!!

8:12 PM  
Blogger dashadra said...

totally totally agree

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home